Next up, step four:
Nutrifying what ya got.
For most of us the easy go to lunch food is a salad. It is this perfect concoction of veg, protein, fat, whole grains,etc. Nutrifying means making the most of it.
Amp up your salads by thinking outside the lettuce box and adding layers of nutrient dense extras:
- Throw some beans or grains on there.
- Add nuts- toasted nuts make any salad yummy in my book!
- Thinly slice tough greens like kale, swiss chard, cabbage. Throw it on your salad.
- Boiled eggs.
- Meat, poultry, fish. Canned salmon is a super quick “chop and drop” choice.
- Explore the wonderful world of cheese!
- Lastly, herbs add a wonderful pizazz and they have many medicinal values. My personal favorites are basil, dill, and cilantro. (On a side note the only one you want to watch is parsley as that can dry your milk up. Now you would have to eat an insane amount of parsley to do that, but maybe you are a parsley fanatic and love to eat it all day every day, especially you juicers out there! Don't avoid it like the plague just be mindful of it, some of us are more sensitive to it than others.)
Also remember, a salad doesn’t have to be based on just lettuce! Get outside the lettuce box and make slaws, bean salads, rice salads, etc., the sky is the limit.
This is where whipping out your Have You Had? List to help you to concoct a nutritious meal will come in real handy.
Don't have one? Sign up below and get access to over 18+ free pdfs to help you shop, organize, and stay on track to Perfect Pregnancy Nutrition! xoxo