Finding the right maternity care provider can make or break your overall pregnancy and delivery experience.
As I talked about here, regardless of whether you choose a homebirth with a midwife or need the skill of an obstetrician in a high-risk group, respect is the foundation that creates the positive experience we look for during our journey into motherhood.
Here are some questions you can run through to make sure you’ve got a keeper.
- Do you feel like you are welcome to ask questions? Do they answer your questions clearly or vaguely? Do you feel listened to?
- Do you feel you can be honest and completely open to them without judgment?
- Is he or she open to talk about their practice and usage of interventions? Inductions, cesareans, etc. or do you feel ridiculed or patronized for asking about such things?
- Does he or she treat your questions seriously and patiently or do they seem annoyed and agitated by them?
- Does he or she look at you and smile when entering the room? (I know this sounds so silly, but seriously who wants to be cared for by someone who doesn’t like people?!)
- Do you feel rushed during your prenatal appointments or do you feel you are given ample time?
- Does your provider explain things to you? Labs, ultrasounds, etc. or do you feel you are kept totally in the dark?
- Do they ask your opinion on matters or do they make decisions without your consent?
- Is your providers’ philosophy of birth supportive of your own? (Obviously if you are shooting for a natural birth you don’t want to be with a doc who thinks au natural is the bane of his existence!)
- Do you feel good and positive leaving an appointment or disappointed, uncomfortable, invisible, confused, annoyed etc.?
- No one is perfect, we all wake up on the wrong side of the bed every now and then, however, if you consistently find yourself answering these questions negatively, it might be time to give them the boot and put your moneys elsewhere.
Remember, they work for you, not the other way around.
Big hugs to all of you!